Do You Even HAVE Cancer Anymore?
This might be just a guess, but I’d be willing to bet I’m not the first cancer survivor to feel lost during their fight. I’d think it is to be expected after all of the fight, loss, and change that happens during the journey. But I do wonder, how many others out there have been DOUBTED during their treatments or recovery? This is a genuine question. I assume I can’t be the only one, but at the same time, am wondering how normal these questions are? I’ve heard these questions and comments a multitude of times from the people closest to me in my life.
- What pain do you even have anymore?
- Why are you still so tired?
- Sometimes it seems like you’re just overdramatizing the pain.
- Your actions are similar to an addict: Faking pain to keep the prescriptions coming?
- Why are you still on those pills?
- Why can’t you just take different pills?
- Shouldn’t you be off your pills by now?
- You’re not doing enough at home, why don’t you just…
- Why aren’t you back to normal yet?
I hardly know how to react to the comments, much less get them to stop swirling and echoing inside my head. I’ve been called a monster from those who never visit, accused of faking and overdramatizing my pain or symptoms, and told consistently “don’t take it personal” regarding my concerns. Am I the only one?